South Street Presents PumpkinFest, Trick or Treating and Mini-Movie Marathon
South Street Headhouse District has plenty of tricks and treats for children and adults of all ages during the neighborhood’s annual Halloween festivities. On Saturday, October 28, 2017, from 12:00pm to 5:00pm, South Street Pumpkin Fest returns to Headhouse Square (2nd and Lombard) with circus performances, horse and wagon hay rides, live music, crafts for kids, seasonal bites, pumpkin putt-putt golf, a straw bale maze, face painting and costume contests. New this year, a pumpkin pie eating contest and a jack o’ lantern contest.
Businesses will also open their doors for trick or treaters (12 and under) from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. For more information, visit www.southstreet.com, follow @officialsouthst on Twitter or call (215) 413-3713. Festivities are free, with food, drink and shopping pay-as-you-go.
South Street, Queen Village and Society Hill are ready to get their spook on when little ghosts and ghouls come out for the annual PumpkinFest celebration. On top of returning family favorites like hay wagon rides, circus performances and the straw bale maze, Fall PumpkinFest will feature pumpkin putt-putt golf, and a bevy of contests with prizes under the Headhouse Shambles. The full PumpkinFest line-up is below:
* Horse and wagon hay rides on the cobblestone-lined streets around Society Hill and South Street neighborhoods. Rides are free and begin at the edge of the Shambles at 2nd and Lombard.
* Get lost in the middle of South Street’s straw bale maze with enough twists and turns to challenge both younger children and their parents.
* Philadelphia School of Circus Arts/ Airplay Entertainment will perform amazing aerial feats, Mystique the Magician will dazzle with illusions while Mr. John Music surely have everyone singing along.
* Halloween is about giving back too! Bring gently used winter coats, shoes and donations for Broad Street Mission to provide for those in need in advance of winter season.
*Commonwealth Ciders and Philadelphia Brewing Company will be on site providing refreshing beverages for adults.
* Make and take crafts for children including coloring your own trick-or-treat bags, pumpkin decorating and other crafts.
* Costume contest for kids under 14, with special categories for most creative costume, scariest costume, and best family ensemble. Judging starts at 3:00pm, with prizes provided by South Street Headhouse businesses. In addition to the costume contest, there will be a pumpkin pie eating contest for kids and adults, as well as a best jack o’lantern contest, (contestants should bring their pumpkins pre carved).
* South Street businesses will formally open their doors to welcome all the boos and ghouls dressed up in costume from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. Pick up your list at PumpkinFest and look for ghosts hanging outside all participating businesses. Children should be 12 and under, and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
As a warm-up to PumpkinFest on Friday night, the Headhouse Shambles will host a trio of special fright night movies starting at 6:00pm with the classic “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”, followed by “Young Frankenstein” at 7:00pm. For the grown-ups, there’s a late night showing of the George Romero classic, “Night of the Living Dead” starting at 9:00pm. (zombies encouraged, but strictly BYOB- Bring Your own Brains).
All activities are free and open to the public, and will be held rain or shine.
Visitors are encouraged to extend their outing and take advantage of the local South Street Headhouse District restaurants, shops and galleries that are running specials to coincide with the day’s festivities.