Here’s a Breakdown of the Virtual Wawa Welcome America Festival Including Hoagie Day!
As you may have seen from our previous announcement, Wawa Welcome America will be held virtually this year due to the pandemic. Philadelphians have been used to the interaction that Welcome America brings to the city. From free museums, to concerts to the popular Wawa Hoagie Day, there was something for everyone.
Now all the festivities will be done virtually but it doesn’t mean the all the fun is gone. You’ll still be able to enjoy virtual concerts as well as museums.
The festival kicks off this weekend, on June 28. You can join in at WelcomeAmerica.com. On July fourth the festival will move to NBC10. Below you can find the complete breakdown of events.
- 8:30 a.m. Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner – this first in a series of six, the #mindPHL Wellness Corner kicks off the festival discussing how exercise of any kind can have a profound effect on emotional wellness.
- 9 a.m. Museum Days—take virtual tours, access exhibits and enjoy interactive activities at the American Swedish Historical Museum, Christ Church Burial Ground, Fort Mifflin on the Delaware, and One Liberty Observation Deck.
- 5 p.m. Sunday Supper with Chef Walter Staib of City Tavern— the Emmy Award-winner and James Beard Nominated chef will virtually take viewers back in time to show what the dinner table at the first celebration of independence looked like while demonstrating some recipes. Chef’s bio.
- 7 p.m. Hymns & Harmony—an uplifting gospel celebration with Zak Williams and 1/AKORD will be an inspiring experience, hosted by WDAS’ Patty Jackson to end your Sunday on a high note.
- 8:30 am Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner: Art and Music-This July 4th, be #mindPHL with us. Enjoy programming to help you relax, connect, and boost your mental health. Learn more about the mood-boosting benefits of art and music.
- 9 amM Museums of the Day Museum of the American Revolution Mütter Museum of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia Shofuso Japanese Cultural Center
- 11 am Bucket Drumming with Music Play Patrol- Let’s make music! Our bucket drumming program teaches students the basics of drumming using ordinary buckets, trash and recycling cans from their home.
- 2 pm PECO Go 4th & Learn: Philadelphia Zoo!- Lions & Tigers at home, OH MY! Discover the Philadelphia Zoo from the comfort of your own home with fun videos and activities! Tune in for a special edition of PhillyZoo@2 Facebook Live, where educators and zoo keepers will introduce you to one of Philadelphia’s Zoo’s amazing animals!
- 7 pm United States Army Band “Pershing’s Own”-Celebrate Independence Week with a special 10th Anniversary patriotic musical performance by the United States Army Band, “Pershing’s Own.” The Band will present United We Stand | Music to Connect Us featuring popular music, vocal arrangements, and the finale, The 1812 Overture.
- 8:30 am Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner: Nutrition-This July 4th, be #mindPHL with us. Enjoy programming to help you relax, connect, and boost your mental health. Find out how food influences your mood and get tips for making meals that help you feel good.
- 9 am Museums of the Day- Association of Public Art, Eastern State Penitentiary, Fireman’s Hall Museum, Free of Philadelphia Library Rare Book Department The Rosenbach
- 10 am PECO Go 4th & Learn: Fitness & Fun in partnership with Penn Athletics and Penn Sports Medicine- Time to get active! Coaches and sta! from Penn Athletics are ready to get you moving with fun interactive fitness and sports activities for both kids and adults to enjoy!
- 11 am Making Shakers with Music Play Patrol- Shake your sillies out with us and learn how to make an egg shaker maraca.
- 7 pm Girls Like nicethings- Join us for a women-centered music and art event showcasing the talent of women and women-identifying creators in Philadelphia.
- 8:30 am Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner: Relaxation and Stress Reduction- This July 4th, be #mindPHL with us. Enjoy programming to help you relax, connect, and boost your mental health. Discover how you can use techniques such as breathing, meditation, and yoga to relax and feel better.
- 9 am Museum of the Day- National Constitution Center
- 10 am PECO Go 4th & Learn: Read to Lead-Grab the entire family and go on a literacy journey with Sergeant Major Erica Russo of The United States Army Field Band, and Telemundo62 Chief Meteorologist, Violeta Yas.
Bonus! Enjoy story time with special guest readers on Welcome America social media channels each day of the festival.
- 11 am Playing Pots & Pans with Music Play Patrol- Have you heard a teapot sing? Music can come from a variety of objects other than instruments. This program teaches children how to create music using everyday items from the kitchen.
- 12 pm Wawa Hoagie Day® – In its 28th year and for the first time ever in history, all 900 Wawa stores will participate in Wawa Hoagie Day®, building more than 45,000 hoagies to donate to local community heroes and organizations, including Philabundance, USO and more! Join us for fun coverage of the hoagie builds and community give back across 6 states and Washington D.C.
- 6 pm- U.S. Army Esports Tournament powered by Nerd Street Gamers: Fortnite Trios- Put your skills to the test during the widely popular Fortnite online competition kicking o! the U.S. Army esports competition. Registration is free on Lobby.gg.
- 6 pm United States Army Field Band Pre-Show Party-Join the party on Facebook Live, hosted by 106.1 The Breeze’s Valerie Knight, as we celebrate Philadelphia’s own, Jerry Blavat, and his 80th Birthday Bash prior to the patriotic performance from the United States Army Field Band.
- 7 pm The United States Army Field Band presents “Fanfares for Freedom”-Let freedom ring out across Philadelphia and the nation, as The United States Army Field Band celebrates America’s Independence. You’re in for an inspiring show of patriotic favorites and spectacular performances, as “The Musical Ambassadors of the Army” throw a virtual birthday party for America.
- 8:30 am Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner: Connecting with Friends and Family- This July 4th, be #mindPHL with us. Enjoy programming to help you relax, connect, and boost your mental health. Some of us are spending much more time with family members while others are isolated from them. Learn how we can better support one another and stay connected.
- 9 am Museum of the Day Penn Museum
- 10 am PECO Go 4th & Learn: Do You Have an Appetite for Food Science? Get an insider’s peek at the Wawa Test Kitchen in Wawa, PA, where you can experience a virtual cooking demonstration of your favorite foods, with nutrition, sensory, and food safety tips from Wawa’s culinary and nutrition experts!
- 11 am Musical Storytelling with Music Play Patrol- If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands! We will learn how to create rhythms using our body. By stomping our feet, patting our laps, and clapping our hands, we create rhythms for our silly musical story of the day.
- 6 pm U.S. Army Esports Tournament powered by Nerd Street Gamers: Super Smash Online- Smash the competition with FREE entry to Super Smash Bros Online. Registration is free on Lobby.gg.
- 7 pm Philadelphia Orchestra’s “Let Freedom Ring!”- The Philadelphia Orchestra welcomes the Fourth of July with a musical celebration featuring many of your favorite patriotic pieces, including a special rendition of Elton John’s “Philadelphia Freedom,” Sousa’s “Liberty Bell” March and a special video tribute to the City of Philadelphia. Let freedom ring and sing with The Philadelphia Orchestra!
- 8:30 am Independence Blue Cross #mindPHL Wellness Corner: Enjoying the Great Outdoors-This July 4th, be #mindPHL with us. Enjoy programming to help you relax, connect, and boost your mental health. Learn how enjoying the outdoors – even just a walk in the park – can help you create a positive outlook.
- 9 am Museums of the Day- African American Museum in Philadelphia, Barnes Foundation, National Liberty Museum
- 10 am PECO Go 4th & Learn: Historic Philadelphia-Travel back in time with stories of history and adventure with some of Philadelphia’s most historic figures. Eavesdrop on Thomas Je!erson, Benjamin Franklin, and John Adams as they debate the Declaration outside their favorite watering hole, City Tavern. And, over at the Betsy Ross House, the first lady of the Stars and Stripes prepares for Independence Day, and shares the history of her flag-making skills that inspired General Washington’s famous visit in 1777.
- 11 am Making Wind Instruments with Music Play Patrol- Old MacDonald Had a Farm! Get ready to sing silly animal songs and learn how to make your own homemade didgeridoo and trumpet.
- 4 pm U.S. Army Esports Tournament powered by Nerd Street Gamers: Rocket League 3v3- Sign up and score the winning goal during the final day of our esports tournament. Registration is free on Lobby.gg.
- 7 pm POPS on Independence- For this uniquely American celebration, the POPS take a musical look at tradition and patriotism. In his debut performance as Music Director & Principal Conductor, David Charles Abell has created an original show with Philadelphia native & Broadway star Allison Blackwell, renowned trumpeter and POPS Artistic Director for Jazz, Terell Sta!ord, and POPS fan favorite Michael Cavanaugh. This virtual concert stream will also include a newly commissioned piece, “Fanfare for the Essential Workers,” dedicated to healthcare workers who were first responders to the COVID-19 crisis.
- 9 am- Museums of the Day National Museum of American Jewish History, Philadelphia Museum of Art
- 10AM PECO Go 4th & Learn: Independence National Historical Park-On the 4th of July, get an exclusive look at the ‘rooms where it happened.’ Join a special occasion tour of Independence Hall with National Park Service experts who will feature behind the scenes opportunities. Visit inside the recreated rental spaces where Thomas Je!erson drafted the Declaration of Independence. Get a rare peek at one of Ben Franklin’s original lightning rods. Hear the stories of the founding of our nation, right here in Philadelphia!
- 12–7 pm Wawa Welcome America July 4th Pre-show- Celebrate all day with dynamic, non-stop entertainment prior to the July 4th Concert broadcast live on NBC10!
- 12 pm Red, White & Q102- Keep the party going all day with this mix show that will run all day featuring music from some of the area’s hottest DJs.
- 3 pm -Pennsylvania Lottery Groove Stage- Grill and groove to the tunes of regional multicultural and multigenerational artists, hosted by 100.3 RnB’s Mina SayWhat.
- 5:30 pm The Chill Moody Music Stage- The Chill Moody Music Stage will feature a lineup of emerging talent – handpicked by Philadelphia’s Music Ambassador, Chill Moody.
- 7 pm Celebration of Freedom Ceremony Presented by Freedom Mortgage-Enjoy a patriotic celebration honoring local heroes with the presentation of Mayor Jim Kenney’s Magis Award, the Wawa Foundation Hero Award, and the Celebrate Freedom Award presented by Freedom Mortgage. The ceremony will also feature an inspiring reading of the Declaration of Independence by James van Riemsdyk of the Flyers, Rhys Hoskins of the Phillies, and 76ers legend, Julius Erving, along with entertainment by the Philly POPS, the Arato Brothers, and the soulful Sisterly Love.
8 pm Wawa Welcome America July 4th Concert- You’ll have a front row seat in the comfort of your home for this star- studded performance, featuring world-renowned Tony, Emmy & Grammy award-winning singer and actress Cynthia Erivo, alongside the Jazz Orchestra of Philadelphia, plus a high-energy set from American hitmaker, multi-platinum-selling singer-songwriter, producer, actor and dancer, Jason Derulo. The concert is broadcast live on NBC10 from the historic The Met Philadelphia on the Independence Blue Cross Stage.