If one of your goals in 2023 is to save money, then here’s the perfect event for you. Perhaps you have tangled jewelry, IKEA furniture that needs assembling, or a vacuum cleaner that’s on the fritz. Well, whatever the case may be, learn to fix it for free at NextFab’s Repair Fair on January 12th from 6-8pm at their North Philly location (1800 N. American St.)
The Philly Fixers Guild’s Repair Cafe will be on location to help you fix, repair or assemble your tricky items. Why replace it when you can repair it? This urban volunteer repair outfit will help you fix your stuff, free of charge, and they’re ready for the challenge. Sit down with one of their volunteers and they’ll help you hands-on with fixing it.
However, there are a few ground rules. “The purpose of our Repair Fairs is not to serve as a free repair shop. Instead, we have our guests participate in the troubleshooting and repair process themselves. The goal is that eventually, folks will build diagnosis and repair skills; no longer needing the Philly Fixers,” states The Philly Fixers Guild.
Here are some examples of problems they can try to fix:
- Missing button on your coat
- Broken or tangled jewelry
- Vacuum cleaner that doesn’t turn on
- Toaster that won’t toast
- Broken handle on your favorite mug
- Laptop that won’t start up
- Dull kitchen knives
- Stuffing coming out of a hole in your pillow
- One key on your computer keyboard doesn’t work
- Help to assemble your brand new Ikea chair
Their volunteer fixers are up for the challenge of repairing everyday things. However, they do have some limits and guidelines so things can run a bit more smoothly:
- Guests are required to stay with their item and participate in the repair; dropping an item off to work on defeats the purpose of the Repair Fair
- If you already know your item needs a particular replacement part, order it early and bring it with you to the fair
- As long as you can carry the item in, they will do our best to get it repaired
There will, of course, be some things that cannot reasonably be fixed or might need a part ordered. In these cases, a fixer will recommend the best course of action. Usually, they will be able to supply you with info on part numbers and repair steps so you can complete the repair at home on your own.
If interested you can reserve a spot here. In addition, Rolling tours of NextFab will be available and light drinks and refreshments will be served.