East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District (EPABID), home to more than 160 independently owned businesses in South Philadelphia, is hosting a slew of festive events this holiday season including the return of the popular in-person annual tree lighting ceremony, photos with Santa for children AND pets, pop-up music performances, spirited decorations adorning the Avenue, and much more, starting on Small Business Saturday, November 27, through the end of 2021.
The annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony at The Singing Fountain [East Passyunk Avenue and Tasker Street] is beloved by locals and visitors, and brings the spirit of the holidays to the Avenue each year. This year, all are invited to take part in the official holiday kick-off and Christmas tree lighting on Thursday, December 2 from 5 – 7pm. In addition to the excitement of an in-person ceremony, this year’s tree is receiving an upgrade, tricked out in LED lights and aimed to reflect the sounds of holiday music within the surrounding area.
“We are excited to celebrate the holidays on East Passyunk with a number of brand-new businesses, beloved classics, and ongoing events and entertainment to keep things festive throughout the season,” said Adam Leiter, Executive Director of East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District. “Whether you are coming to the Avenue from around the corner or traveling here as a destination, this is the year to make memories that will last a lifetime.”
Another fan-favorite holiday tradition on East Passyunk Avenue is photos with Santa, accessible for both children and four-legged furry pals. Folks will be able to bring their own camera and take holiday photos with Santa at no cost, starting on Thursday, December 2 following the tree lighting ceremony between 6 – 7pm. There will then be three additional chances for photos with Santa this year at 1904 East Passyunk Avenue:
- Wednesday, December 8 from 5 – 7pm
- Saturday, December 18 from 3 — 5pm
- Sunday, December 19 from 12pm — 2pm
In addition to these merry options, other holiday happenings include:
- The East Passyunk Punch Card — Receive a punch for each $10 spent at participating businesses. Submit the completed card of $100 spent and enter to win a weekly gift card from a raffle drawing on behalf of EPABID
- Hanukkah Happenings – Celebrate the festival of lights with The South Philadelphia Shtiebel for Hanukkah menorah lightings on the Avenue at the Singing Fountain with a community event on Sunday, December 5
- Holiday Concert and Dance at Society Hill Dance Academy (SHDA) – Join SHDA and City Rhythm Orchestra for a holiday concert and dance party open to all on Sunday, December 12 at 4:00pm
- Letters to Santa – Drop off letters to the North Pole Mailbox at the Singing Fountain throughout the season
- Pop Up Music – Performances with carolers, musicians, mummers, and more
- Shop and Stroll Sunday – Spend Sunday, December 12 on East Passyunk starting with brunches and then bunches of sidewalk sales, pop up events, and other holiday surprises
- Deck the Ave Decorations and Live Trees – Keep an eye out for photo opportunities, twinkling lights, and spirited scenes along the Avenue, and stop by the annual holiday display inside Urban Jungle along with Christmas Trees for sale
- Nice Things Handmade 11th Annual Ornament Show – With 30 + local artists submitting handmade ornaments, this annual showcase returns on November 13 as a great way to grab a limited-edition keepsake for the holidays.