25 Things To Know About the Christmas Village in Philadelphia!
Christmas Village in Philadelphia presented by NRG will relocate in 2016 and transform Philadelphia’s City Hall (1400 JFK Boulevard) into a traditional, open-air German Christmas Market, open daily between Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 24, 2016and Christmas Eve, Saturday, December 24, 2016. Shop for high-quality, international gifts and decorations and enjoy holiday sights and sounds with thousands of twinkling lights, a new traditional carousel in the courtyard, live music, children’s activities, a new weekly happy hour series and photos with Santa Claus. Warm up with a glass of warm mulled wine or hot chocolate while tasting European food and drink. Admission is free. Prices vary for food, drink and other merchandise offered by vendors. Spread the cheer by following @philachristmas on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat, liking Christmas Village in Philadelphia on Facebook or visit the website at www.philachristmas.com.
1) Know Where Everything Is!
2) Know the Hours/Schedule
Christmas Village in Philadelphia officially opens daily starting on Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, November 24), to coincide with Philadelphia’s annual Thanksgiving Parade. Christmas Village will remain open through Christmas Eve, Saturday, December 24.Daily market hours are Friday through Saturday 11:00am to 8:00pm, and Sunday through Thursday 11:00am to 7:00pm. Thanksgiving Day hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Black Friday hours are 9:00am to 8:00pm and Christmas Eve hours are 11:00am to 5:00pm.
3) Know There Will Be Theme Weekends
* December 3 and 4 – International Weekend
* December 10 and 11 – German American Weekend
* December 17 and 18 – Charity Weekend with Make-A-Wish® Foundation
* December 24 – Christmas Eve and Closing Day
4) Know About The Grand Opening Ceremony (11/27)
5) You Should Know About the New Visit from Nikolaus and Krampus
Saint Nikolaus plays a major role for German kids within the Advent time. On the evening of December 5th, German kids clean their shoes and put them in front of the door. Over night, Nikolaus comes and fills the shoes with either candies and small gifts for the kids who have been good or with coals for the roughnecks.Since Nikolaus day is on December 6th, Christmas Village in Philadelphia is going to celebrate this special day in German culture at the market, too. Nikolaus himself along with Krampus will give surprises to the little ones between 2:00pm and 6:00pm! Whole Foods Market support the special appearance with a stand that provides a Nikolaus Bag for Young and Old (Stocking Filler Station). Kids and Adults can fill a bag with a Mandarin, Walnuts, Apple and Chocolate.
6) Know About the Christmas Village Lantern Parade (11/30)
7) Know About the NRG Gingerbread House Contest! (12/09)
8) You Should Definitely Know About the Black Friday Lunch Concert! (11/25)
9) Know About theEntertainment (Daily)
Look for more live music, concerts, dance performances, children’s choirs, big bands and festive fun to take to the new, larger stage that will be facing the north entrance of City Hall’s Courtyard.Music schedule on the main stage at the City Hall North Apron:
* Monday through Thursday – 4:00pm to 7:00pm
* Fridays – 12:00pm to 1:00pm and 4:00 to 8:00pm
* Saturdays – 12:00pm to 8:00pm
* Sundays – 12:00pm to 7:00pm
Selected early announced performances include:
* Saturday, December 3 – St. Thomas Gospel Choir from 1:00pm to 2:00pm
* Sunday, December 4 – New Spirit of Penn (Gospel Choir of the Penn University) from 4:00pm to 5:00pm
* Wednesday, December 7 – Slante (Irish Band during Ho Ho Happy Hour) from 5:00pm to 7:00pm
* Saturday, December 10 – Donauschwalben from 2:00pm to 3:00pm
* Saturday, December 10 – German Hungarian Schuhplattler Group from 3:00pm to 4:00 pm
* Saturday, December 11 – GTV Almrausch from 3:00pm to 4:00pm
* Wednesday, December 14 –The Mixed People Band (during Ho Ho Happy Hour) from 5:00pm to 7:00om
10) Know the New Ho Ho Happy Hours on Wednesdays (12/7, 12/14, 12/21)
This year, Christmas Village in Philadelphia introduces a special Wednesday night happy hour series called Ho Ho Happy Hour, presented with Lyft as the official ridesharing partner. On three Wednesdays (December 7, 14, 21) all visitors are invited to enjoy a funky stage programing. Plus enjoy deals on mulled wine and food from Chaddsford Winery and the German Grill as well as weekly changing tasting specials. The Ho Ho Happy Hour lasts from 5:00pm to 7:00pm and will feature a different theme on all three Wednesdays, a photo booth with changing backdrop, and raffle prizes.Ho Ho Happy Hour Schedule:
* December 7 – “Irish Christmas” and features Irish bands and appetizers on December 7.
* December 14 – “Philly Christmas” along with a local band and special tastings.
* December 21 – “German Christmas” music and dancers, accompanied by a Bratwurst Eating Contest.
Christmas Village in Philadelphia has teamed up with Lyft, the official ride-sharing partner for the new Ho Ho Happy Hour, to help visitors enjoy the market without the trouble of public transportation, traffic, or parking. New users can use the promo code XMASVILLAGE to enjoy up to $50 in ride credit. For more information, click here.
11) Get to Know the Best Wine-During Wine Tastings – A taste of Christmas Village (Tasty Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Participants will purchase their tickets on Groupon and trade it at the Chaddsford Winery booth for a passport-flyer. With the flyer, the customers can wander through Christmas Village and redeem coupons at the partnering vendor booths. Experience the charm of a traditional German Christmas market while enjoying samples of Chaddsford’s award-winning, locally-produced wine, as well as sweet and savory tastings from Pretzelphoria, Brunkow Cheese, German Sweets, Shane Confectionary, and The Bacon Jams.
Find more information about the events at
12) Students Should Know About Specials (Tuesdays)
13) Foodies Should Know About the First Annual Bratwurst Eating Contest
On Wednesday, December 21 from 5:00pm to 7:00pm, Christmas Village in Philadelphia will host its first annual Bratwurst Eating Contest as a part of the German Christmas Ho Ho Happy Hour. It is an amateur competition with no entry fee. Each contestant has to eat as many Bratwursts as possible (max. 10) in fifteen minutes. The contestant who eats the most or finishes them all first will be declared the winner. The prizes will be entry tickets from the partners and/or gifts from Christmas Village. Interested in participating? Get more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
14) Get to to Know All of the Food and Drink Vendors
* Berlin Döner Kebab Booth & Belgian Fries − Döner Kebab, originally invented in
Berlin & fresh Belgian Fries
* Chaddsford Winery − Mulled wine, wine by the bottle and glass
* Crepes and German Christmas Sweets − Fresh handmade crêpes and a wide assortment of German Christmas Sweets like gingerbread, stollen, and delicacies like “Milka”, “Kinderschokolade” and fresh marshmallows
* German Grill/Weihnachtshütte − Tasty German bratwursts, meats, potato pancakes, potato salad and sauerkraut
* German Sweets − Roasted nuts from all over the world, Chocolate
* Helmut’s Original Austrian Strudel − Strudels, sweet and savory
* Hot Beverages − Hot chocolate, coffee, tea and apple cider
* Jerky Hut – Jerky meats (NEW)
* John & Kiras − Gourmet hand-crafted chocolates
* Pretzelphoria − Pennsylvania-made pretzels with spices and chocolate-covered
* Shane Confectionery and The Franklin Fountain – Candy, fudge, ice cream (NEW)
* The Bacon Jams − Spreadable bacon preserve and bacon soap
* Torch Bearer Sauces – Tasty condiments and sauces (NEW)
* Wandering Waffle – Delicious Belgian waffles
15) Know the Favorite Foods for 2016
* German bratwursts
* Potato pancakes
* Belgian Fries with a variety of different sauces
* Döner Kebab
* German sweets like gingerbread, stolen and chocolate
* Wandering waffles with speculoos dipping sauce
16) Know Where to Buy Your Gifts!
Toy, Children’s and Pet Vendors:
* Bohemian Jumpers − Bohemian jumpers and Viking dolls
* Bohemian Pink − Puppets, soft toys, tutus and girl’s dress up accessories, ribbon purses, headbands, and bows
* Kylie’s Pet Treats – All-natural dog, cat and bird treats, and accessories
* Mazuyk & Metelev − Walking toys and solar powered toys
* New York Puzzle Company – Puzzles from 24 to 2000 pieces
* Persnickety – Kids’ car toys
* Silly Puppets − Unique glove and hand (performance) puppets
* Steiff – High-quality plush animals from Germany
Jewelry and Accessories:
* Bella U − Boutique with jewelry and accessories
* Big Skinny Wallet − Thin leather and nylon wallets
* Charm Street Jewelry − Glass jewelry
* Eardivine – Ear pins, ear cuffs and other fine jewelry
* Ideal Handcrafted Jewellery − Jewelry from the Basque Country in northern Spain
* Mistura Timepieces − Unique wooden watches and sunglasses
* Moon Glow − Moon Glow personalized jewelry
* Sycla Designs – Fashion accessories
* Tibet Collection − Handmade jewelry from Nepal and India
* Tommy Conch Designs – Sterling silver jewelry
* Wagman Designs – Designer jewelry
* Art Pottery Studio − Nicaraguan pottery
* Dakota Prairie Designs – Hand-painted glass
* Demca Demonstration − The D-Grater gourmet grater from Spain
* BearHands − Mittens, hats, and scarves
* Chez Kikis – French soap and tablecloths
* Chic Afrique Herbals − Natural cosmetics and jewelry
* Donegal Importers − Irish capes, sweaters, and gifts
* Felt n Wool − Handmade hat, handbags, and paper art from Nepal and the Himalayas
* Janette’s Designs − Handmade sweaters, ponchos, hats, gloves, and scarves for women and children
* Just Makes Scents – Herbal packages
* Kashmir Dream − Shawls, beaded bags, Moroccan goods, and Syrian goods
* KJ Designs − Artisan scarves and felt neck jewelry
* Norden Arts − Woolens, handmade bags (backpacks, shoulder bags) from recycled jute, hemp and cotton from Nepal
* Suzette Arts Couture − Accessories and home décorArts and Crafts:
* Elementem Art and Design − Landscape photography on plexi-glass
* Eric Ajamaart − Handmade drawings, fine art
* Hidden Creek Artisans & Grand Illusions − Edible birdhouses and pit pendulums
* Inkas Hands Art Gallery − Contemporary art works, fine pottery, silver jewelry, all handmade
* Nepa Bhon − Handmade works of art from Nepal
* Russ Brown Photography − Framed photo art with Philadelphia motifs
* Silk Road Traders − Turkish mosaic lanterns, ceramics, and artisan crafts
* The Coaster Mill − Coasters with vintage photos of New York City, Philadelphia, and other cities
* Tribal Art − Pillows, wall hangings and other handmade décor from Turkey
* Yunka Intl. Trading − Pocket watches and mini clocksChristmas Ornaments and Decorations:
* Amazing Light – Shaped lights
* Bethlehem Art – Hand crafted olive wood
* Christmas Souvenir Ornaments – Holiday clay ornaments
* Gifts from Afar − Russian Christmas ornaments, nestled dolls, amber jewelry, wooden carved Santas, lacquered boxes, birthback boxes, and glass animals
* Herrnhuter – Original Herrnhuter Stars (Moravian Stars)
* Kaethe Wohlfahrt – German authentic ornaments like nutcrackers, pyramids, schwibbogen, music boxes, wooden ornaments, glass ornaments
* LOL Signs – Home decor signs
* Mexican Handcrafts − Mexican Christmas ornaments and gifts
* Unique Trading − Glass Christmas ornaments from Egypt
* Yolkstar Ornaments and Gifts – Hand-painted glass and wooden ornaments and Christmas gifts from Ukraine and RussiaSpecial Booths:
* Christmas Trees – The Christmas Tree Stand − Fresh trees and wreaths
* Information Booth – Christmas Village Philadelphia − Information about the Christmas Village in general and Partner Promotions. Here you can buy heart hangers for our Wish Wall, plus the new 2016 Christmas Village mugs
* Photos – Santa’s House − Get your photo with Santa Claus!
* Presenting Sponsor – NRG − Information about getting energy for your home
* Chaddsford Winery – Mulled wine, wine by the bottle and glass
17) Get to Know the New Vendors for 2016
Chez Kikis – French soap and tablecloths
Christmas Souvenir Ornaments – Holiday clay ornaments
Jerky Hut – Jerky meats
Just Makes Scents – Herbal packages
Kylie’s Pet Treats – All-natural dog, cat and bird treats, and accessories
New York Puzzle Company – Puzzles from 24 to 2000 pieces
Persnickety – Kids’ car toys
Shane Confectionery and The Franklin Fountain – Candy, fudge, ice cream
Steiff – High-quality plush animals from Germany
Tommy Conch Designs – Sterling silver jewelry
Torch Bearer Sauces – Tasty condiments and sauces
Wagman Designs – Designer jewelry
18) Families Should Know About the Fun Kids’ Corner and Photos with Santa
Santa will be visiting on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and offers family photos inside his hut. There will also be other family fun like story-telling, caricature artists, face painters, music and more. Schedule will vary by weekend and day.
The new kids’ corner will be open Saturdays 11:00am to 8:00pm and Sundays from 11:00am to 7:00pm.
This year, a traditional carousel can be found inside the Courtyard which adds to the atmosphere of an authentic Christmas Village. Tickets will be available at the market for a small price.
19) Pet Owners Should Know About the New Pet Photos with Santa
20) Know About the New Holiday Carousel
21) Decorators Get to Know About – Original Herrnhut Stars
22) Know the General Information
23) Get to Know the Sponsor, NRG
The sponsorship opened up a lot of new possibilities for the market and has been a great support over the years. Therefore, it wasn’t a hard decision for Christmas Village in Philadelphia to team up with NRG again.
“Christmas Village is such a wonderful Philly holiday tradition,” said Mike Starck, general manager, NRG Retail East division. “NRG is so proud to once again help make Philly festive and bring the community together this year in an exciting new location.”
NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of the nation’s largest and most diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 200 company, NRG creates value through best in class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers, large and small, we continually innovate, embrace and implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy. We aim to be pioneers in developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost 3 million residential and commercial customers throughout the country. More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter at @nrginsight and @nrgenergy.
24) Know How to Connect with Christmas Village
25) Made in Philadelphia Market in Dilworth Plaza
Philadelphia’s Dilworth Park will once again host the annual Made in Philadelphia Holiday Market, open everyday from Saturday, November 19 through Saturday, December 24 (Christmas Eve). At the Made in Philadelphia Holiday Market, visitors will experience a charming winter bazaar with more than 30 local vendors in white, festively lit tents. Compared to the authentic German Christmas Village with international vendors, the Made in Philadelphia Holiday Market offers its abundance of arts and crafts from local sources within the greater Philadelphian area. With such a wide selection, visitors will be sure to find the perfect gift for their loved ones or themselves, like fashionable jewelry and clothes, unique decoration items, and much more. At the same time, a wide variety of locally-made sweets and food will be available for visitors’ enjoyment, as well as ice skating on the Rothman Ice Rink, conveniently located adjacent to the Holiday Market.
Made in Philadelphia Market is presented by Center City District in partnership with German American Marketing, Inc. (operators of Christmas Village in Philadelphia).