Your Complete Guide to Old City Fest Coming Oct. 7th!
Old City District presents Old City Fest on Sunday, October 7, 2018, from 11:00am to 6:00pm, along N. 3rd Street (from Market to Race) and Arch Street (from 2nd to 4th). Activities will include a festival stage with live music, runway fashion shows, a family fun zone, pop-up street performances and a wide array of food, beverages, art, craft and retail shopping, with 100+ Old City vendors participating. Admission is free, with food and drink pay-as-you-go. For more information, visit oldcitydistrict.org, or call (215) 592-7929.
“Old City Fest highlights our region’s premier arts and design district, showcasing local designers, creative firms, restaurants, retailers, galleries, theater, culture, history and architecture,” said Old City District’s Executive Director, Job Itzkowitz. “Old City Fest was designed to be different. The city has tons of amazing neighborhood-based festivals with food, drink and music. We wanted to take that one step farther and celebrate all that makes America’s most historic square mile unique. We curated the event to give Old City’s merchants, artists, makers and creative community a platform to shine for the region.”
From its historic past to its artful present to its tech future, Old City is the place to be! Look for vibrant and diverse offerings that make the neighborhood the historic gem of Philadelphia. Mark your calendar, tell your friends and come prepared for a festival unlike any other. For a full list of activities, vendors, schedules and other information, see below or visit oldcitydistrict.org.
HIGHLIGHTS OF NEW ACTIVITIES
* The biggest music line-up in the festival’s history, featuring Chill Moody, West Philadelphia Orchestra, Worldtown Soundsystem, plus DJ sets by Philly’s own turntable wunderkind DJ D-ILL!
*Two fashion shows featuring the latest Old City trends in clothing and hair, curated by Barnet Fair hair salon!
*Notable new names join the restaurant line-up including Barry’s Buns and Prescription Chicken of The Bourse Food Hall, Nauti Mermaid Crab House, Tomo Sushi + Ramen, and more!
*Jolly’s Piano Bar will bring dueling pianos out to the street for some lively and interactive sing-a-longs
* Look for Philadelphia’s Historic District, a returning sponsor, to make a lively splash along Arch Street during Old City Fest, bringing lots of activities to the annual autumnal celebration!
*Two new circus performances and a new magician join the festivities at the Family Fun Zone presented by Toyota!
*Eight new vendors join Independents Row, a special designated area featuring local makers!
OLD CITY FEST ACTIVITIES AND VENDORS
FOOD AND DRINK
The lineup of Old City restaurants showcases the wide variety of styles and flavors while highlighting some of the best food and drinks. With more than a dozen food vendors setting up shop for the festival, there is something for everyone. (*New to Old City Fest for 2018.)
The Bourse Food Hall *
Barry’s Buns *
· Large cinnamon rolls, mini bun cup, sticky bun parfaits, crumb cake, pumpkin crumb cake, brownies and chocolate dipped liege waffle with Fall jimmies.
· Hot chocolate and coffee
Prescription Chicken *
· Tuna Springrolls, Edamame Dumplings
· A cocktail and beer
Continental Restaurant & Martini Bar
· Cheesesteak Eggrolls
· A cocktail and beer
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
· Beef Eat-A-Frita $9 (Organic, Grass-fed beef, Cuban style burger, shoestring fries, King’s Hawaiian Roll)
· Rum Punch $12 (refill $8) (White rum, lime, orange, pineapple and grenadine)
· Guarapina $6 (Guarapo (Fresh Sugarcane), Pineapple, Lime)
· Fresh Coconut $6 (Coconut Water)
The Franklin Fountain
· Scoops of ice cream in cups and cones (including the Sea Salt Caramel and Pumpkin ice cream), as well as ice cream sandwiches and our keystone-shaped ice cream bars from the Franklin Ice Cream Bar.
High Street on Market (Community sponsor)
ICI Macarons & Café
· Macarons (28 flavors, including: Peanut dark chocolate, Lemon, Vanilla white chocolate, Milk & Honey, Raspberry, Mint chocolate, Lemon lavender, Lime & Basil, Salted Caramel, Pistachio, Earl Grey, Matcha green tea, Orange Blossom, Cassis & Mission fig, Mango, Hazelnut Chocolate, Dulce de Leche, Strawberry, Coconut white chocolate, Coffee Mocha, Rose Lychee, Passion Fruit, Cookies & Cream, Almond Praline, Hibiscus Sour Cherry, Honey Lavender)
· Lavender lemonade, Matcha lemonade, Fresh Ginger Ale
· Gingery (lots of ginger root), Golden (PA apples, star anise, ginger, golden raisins), Midnight (blackberries, vanilla, lemon, activated charcoal), Pumpkin Spice (pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice, clove)
Khyber Pass Pub
· Pulled Pork w/ Coleslaw, Vegan BBQ w/ Coleslaw, Baked Mac and Cheese
· Victory Pilsner, Founders Centennial IPA
· Quesadillas – Chicken & Mushroom
· Mahi Mahi Tempura Tacos
· Pork Belly Skewer served on a Fresh Corn Pancake
Nauti Mermaid Crab House + Piano Bar *
· Crab cake sandwich
· Nauti Orange Crush, draft beer
OCF Coffee House *
· Housemade grab-and-go pastries (cookies, scones, brownies, loafbreads)
· La Colombe coffee and La Colombe Cold Brew
Old City Coffee (Community sponsor)
· Old City Coffee’s Bollywood Blend Iced Coffee
· Chicken satay $10
· Korean meatball $10
· Beef bao $10
· Grilled Corn $4
· Thai tea $4
· Thai bubble tea $5
· House Made Everything Pretzel with Mustard Cheese Sauce, and our Hand Made Cheddar & Onion Chips with Grilled Onion Sauce
Tomo Sushi + Ramen *
United By Blue
· pastries and other grab and go items
· cold brew, drip coffee
Philadelphia Independents is sponsoring Independents Row, a special designated area featuring local makers including candle makers, ceramicists and jewelers. Meet the makers and peruse their handmade goods along 3rd Street in front of 35 N. 3rd Street. (*New to Old City Fest for 2018.)
· Handcrafted porcelain jewelry made from vintage pieces of China
Basement Press *
· Wood-turned bowls, cutting boards and serving ware
· Hand-crocheted critters for babies and kids
· Hand-printed fun and functional stationery, totes bags, and prints
· Nature inspired jewelry incorporating geometric shapes and gemstones
· New jewelry made from repurposed vintage papers and findings
Mario Zucca *
· Illustrative, humorous maps and portraits
Padouk Crafts *
· Handcrafted wood cutting boards, coasters, and bowls
The Pillow Works *
· Philly-themed pillows for the home
Rosen & Co
· Soy candles hand-poured in Philadelphia skyline glass votives
Sarah Draws Things
· Animal illustrations on prints, brooches, and stationery
Selah Jewelry Design *
· Hand-forged jewelry in bold designs
· Gemstone and ceramic jewelry and beautiful planters with air plants
Stone Cooper *
· Boho chic jewelry using metals and stones
The Tin Goat
· Hand-poured soy candles and soaps in fun fragrances
Useful & Beautiful Handmade
· Dolls and teddy bears made from upcycled fabrics (Family Fun Zone)STYLE EXHIBIT + MARKETPLACE
Old City Fest will feature two fashion shows beneath the fall foliage to highlight the innovation and sophistication that is Old City Fashion. One-of-a-kind styles from Lele @ 323 Arch Fashion Collective, Meadowsweet Mercantile, and Rennes will rock the Old City runway!
A marketplace will be located right next to the runway, so Old City Fest attendees can shop the runway looks instantly.
Hair salon Barnet Fair will carefully curate the shows and marketplace, that highlight some of Old City’s most renowned boutiques. Old City has some of the most unique shopping in the city, and it will take center stage at the festival! Barnet Fair will also provide hair and makeup for both fashion shows.
DJ Royce will spin music live on stage throughout the day.
The fashion shows will take place at 1:45pm and 3:45pm.
MUSIC AND PERFORMANCE
Old City Fest 2018 features the biggest music lineup in the festival’s history!
To celebrate five years of music, the Main Stage will pay tribute to the festival’s history by featuring artists who have performed at Old City Fest in the past.
Look for performances by Chill Moody, West Philadelphia Orchestra, Worldtown Soundsystem, plus DJ sets by Philly’s own turntable wunderkind DJ D-ILL!
Don’t miss any of the performances happening at the Main Stage, located at 4th and Arch Streets.
Chill Moody cemented his status as one of the top lyricists and performers to hit Philadelphia in years when he won “Best Rapper” in Philadelphia Magazine’s annual “Best of Philly” issue. He was also named Philadelphia’s Music Ambassador by Councilman David Oh, due to his tireless efforts to “put the city on” as well as his local and national accomplishments over the years. A West Philadelphia native, his lifestyle brand “nicethings” now includes clothing line, consulting firm, a record label (nicethingsMUSIC), and even a line of craft beer (nicethingsPIA, a collaboration with Dock Street Brewery). He recently partnered with Philly R&B singer Donn T to start a new group called “&more”. http://www.chillmoody.com
WEST PHILADELPHIA ORCHESTRA
West Philadelphia Orchestra plays music that is mostly rooted in Eastern European folk music traditions, but we do it with our own voices, Philadelphia voices nourished by our jazz heritage, tinged with punk rock, soul, and cheesesteaks, and blended with the voices of our community.
As a village band, we aim to uplift, inspire, and unify the Philadelphia community by playing music that renders boundaries obsolete and represents excellence.
We play concerts on big stages, concerts in tiny corners; we play house parties and block parties; benefits and protest rallies; weddings and any occasion for celebration; and everywhere we play, feet stomp, hands clap, hips sway, people grab hold of one another, lift their glasses, and celebrate life, absurdity, and what is best in us.
Worldtown Soundsystem is a high-voltage live house music band that fuses the culture of electronic dance music with global rhythms and a heart of soul. The ensemble’s seven members have roots in three continents, and every Worldtown event is a celebration of sound from around the world. Influences from Africa, Latin America and the United States are melded into a uniquely energetic live experience that pulls a crowd to the dance floor and keeps them there for hours.
Worldtown’s mission is to celebrate global culture through music and art. http://www.world.town
Thirteen-year-old Dylan Curtis, a.k.a., DJ D-ILL, will also return to the festival this year. His previous DJ engagements include the White House’s fifth annual Kids’ “State Dinner” and
Host/DJ for Kid Zone at Wawa Welcome America. https://www.facebook.com/
FAMILY FUN ZONE PRESENTED BY TOYOTA
The Family Fun Zone presented by Toyota will feature performances from the Give & Take Jugglers, Philadelphia Dance Academy, Music Monkey Jungle and many more. AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate, the historic division of Mars Wrigley Confectionery, will present the history and preparation of colonial chocolate at the Betsy Ross House. Stop by to experience chocolate the same way that 18th century chocolate maker, Mary Crathorne, did! Check in as special guests will be visiting throughout the day. You might recognize some of America’s most famous neighbors!
*New This Year:
The Give & Take Jugglers present The Little Circus, a self-contained, 45-minute show featuring aerial fabric, trapeze, juggling, and tight wire! The show is infused with the warmth, humor, and audience participation for which Give & Take is known and is a consistent hit with children and adults alike.
Ran’D Shine is the face of the new millennium magician. He wowed audiences with his brilliant presentation at the 44th Presidential Inauguration in Washington, D.C. as well as Capetown, South Africa. As one of the most sought-after college performers, he has also captured the imaginations of audiences from Hollywood to New York City for more than a decade. He has already read your mind and knows that you want to know more. Come see for yourself.
PHILADELPHIA’S HISTORIC DISTRICT
Look for Philadelphia’s Historic District, a returning sponsor, to make a lively splash along Arch Street during Old City Fest, bringing lots of activities to the annual autumnal celebration!
The day will include stories at a Once Upon A Nation bench, 18th-century chocolate making at the Betsy Ross House, a Philadelphia Historic District prize wheel, caricaturists, corn hole, and so much more. Festivalgoers can test their Revolutionary War trivia skills for prizes at the Museum of the American Revolution’s tent. Be sure to check in with the Independence Visitor Center staff for information on what’s happening through Philadelphia and the region, and pick up a FREE Philly PHLASH® Downtown Loop All-Day Pass. The oversized and always-popular XOXO structure will be the perfect backdrop for participants to capture the memorable day with family photos and selfies! (*New to Old City Fest for 2018.)
African American Museum in Philadelphia*
Betsy Ross House
Historic Philadelphia, Inc.
Museum of the American Revolution
National Constitution Center
National Park Service
Philadelphia’s Historic District
Independence Visitor Center Corporation
GALLERIES AND ARTISTS
Old City is the city’s hub for artists, makers, galleries and creative industries. Be sure to experience all of the arts and culture the neighborhood has to offer.
Around every corner of Old City find the city’s latest fashions, gifts and home decor. Don’t leave empty handed with top brands, up-and-coming designers and more. (*new to Old City Fest for 2018.)
Old City participants include:
Adorned by Aisha
Art in the Age
Artist & Craftsman Supply
Benjamin Lovell Shoes
Blokes Barbershop & Gentleman’s Emporium
The Farmers Market at Christ Church
Lost + Found
Margot Camille Optique
Momo’s Tree House
More Than Old
Moxie Blue Salon
Zarrus Wind’s Metal Menagerie
Bucks County Flowers & Things
LASIK Vision Institute
Legendary Sports Prints, LLC
Passionately Natural Soap Co.
Allied Integrated Marketing/Kimmel Center
American Philosophical Society
Betsy Ross House (Community sponsor)
The Connect Church
Episcopal Community Services
Historic St. George’s United Methodist Church
ADDITIONAL PARTICIPANTS (*New to Old City Fest for 2018.)
95.7 BEN FM (Exclusive Radio Sponsor)
Alterra Property Group (Community sponsor)
Arch Enemy Arts (Community sponsor)
Barnet Fair (Community sponsor)
Bridge (Justice sponsor)
Bryn Mawr Trust (Community sponsor) *
Coldwell Banker Preferred, Old City
Fearless Athletics: CrossFit Penn’s Landing
The Finery *
FirstService Residential (Community sponsor)
Founding Footsteps Tours *
Historic Philadelphia, Inc. (Community sponsor)
Indego (Community sponsor)
Ketel One Botanicals (Justice sponsor) *
LASIK Vision Institute
Level 1 Fitness
Linode (Liberty Sponsor) *
Long & Foster (Community sponsor)
MRP Realty (Freedom sponsor)
The National Apartments (Justice sponsor) *
Nestle Toll House (Justice sponsor) *
Opportunity Barks *
Penn’s View Hotel (Community sponsor)
PMC Property Group (Justice sponsor)
TD Bank (Community sponsor)
Terme di Aroma
Toyota (Family Fun Zone sponsor) *
VERY Real Estate *
Xfinity (Justice sponsor)
For more information about Old City District and Old City Fest, visit oldcitydistrict.org, or call (215) 592-7929.