South Street Presents PumpkinFest, Trick or Treating, Rocky Horror Under Shambles
South Street Headhouse District has plenty of tricks and treats for children and adults of all ages during the neighborhood’s annual Halloween festivities. On Saturday, October 29, 2016, from Noon extending into the evening, PumpkinFest returns to Headhouse Square (2nd and Lombard). From 12:00pm to 5:00pm, enjoy circus performances, magicians, horse and wagon hay rides, live music, shopping, seasonal bites, straw bale maze, pumpkin decorating, make and take crafts, face painting and new costume contests. Businesses will open their doors for trick or treaters (12 and under) from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. After hours, starting at 6:00pm, the little ghosts and goblins are invited for some fright night family fun with Halloween Movies under the Shambles with a showing of “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” and “Beetlejuice.” The frightfully fun day concludes with a special grown-up interactive late night showing of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” starting at 9pm hosted by DJ Robert Drake.
South Street, Queen Village and Society Hill are ready to get their spook on when little ghosts and ghouls come out for the annual PumpkinFest celebration. On top of returning family favorites like hay wagon rides, circus performances and the straw bale maze, PumpkinFest will feature new costume contests with prizes under the Headhouse Shambles. The full PumpkinFest line-up is below:
12:00pm to 5:00pm
* Get lost in the middle of South Street’s straw bale maze with enough twists and turns to challenge both younger children and their parents. Bring your phones charged, as this is also the perfect family selfie spot!
* Philadelphia School of Circus Arts/ Airplay Entertainment will perform amazing aerial feats plus show off some ghoulish ground tricks.
* Thriller dance with Society Hill Dance Academy.
* Halloween is about giving back too! Bring gently used winter coats for One Warm Coat (www.onewarmcoat.org) to provide for those in need in advance of winter season.
*Commonwealth Ciders and Philadelphia Brewing Company will be on site providing refreshing beverages for adults.
* Make and take crafts for children including coloring your own trick-or-treat bags, pumpkin decorating and other crafts.
* Costume contest for all ages, with special categories for kids, most creative costume, scariest costume, best family ensembles, and even a category for best dressed pet. The costume contest will take place at 3:00 pm, with prizes provided by South Street Headhouse businesses.
* Mystique the Magician will provide strolling magic throughout the festival, as well as music from Ivory Fitonia and the ever popular Mr. John Music.
3:00pm to 6:00pm
* South Street businesses will formally open their doors to welcome all the boos and ghouls dressed up in costume from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. Pick up your list at PumpkinFest and look for four foot ghosts hanging outside all participating businesses. Children should be 12 and under, and be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
6:00pm to 8:00pm
* Special fright night movies will follow in the evening under the Shambles starting at 6pm with the classic “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”, followed by “Beetlejuice”.
* A special grown-up interactive late night showing of the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” starting at 9pm hosted by DJ Robert Drake.
All activities are free and open to the public, and will be held rain or shine.
Visitors are encouraged to extend their outing and take advantage of the local South Street Headhouse District restaurants, shops and galleries that are running specials to coincide with the weekend’s festivities.