Adventure Aquarium is Celebrating Shark With Some Amazing Family Friendly Events!
Summer has officially begun and we’re revving up for all of the shark fin – I mean FUN! – taking place at Adventure Aquarium in July and August. Our 2nd annual Shark Summer is kicking off on July 25 – just in time to celebrate Discovery Shark Week – and will run through September 2. Take a peek below to see all of the exciting events we have in store for guests…..specifically, our BRAND-NEW baby shark (doo, doo, doo, doo, doo) exhibit! That’s right – you’ve heard the song, learned the dance, and now it’s time to meet actual baby sandbar sharks!
Not only will visitors be able to see baby sharks, they’ll have exclusive opportunities to see the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast, the only great hammerhead on exhibit in the United States, the world’s longest Shark Bridge and more! See the list of activities and events below!
Baby Sharks… doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo…bay-bee shark
- *NEW* Go Behind-the-Scenes and Meet Our Baby Sandbar Sharks – To kick off the Shark Summer celebration on Thursday, July 25 (just in time for Discovery Shark Week!) guests will be able to go behind-the-scenes in our Quarantine Building, which will be called the Shark Nursery that houses our baby sandbar sharks, along with other various animals. For the first time ever, guests can explore and discover our new delivery of baby sharks, as well as learn all about how we transfer sharks and what our Quarantine Building is used for. As baby sandbar sharks are such a rare occurrence at similar institutions, Adventure Aquarium is excited to debut these all-new sharks to guests!
2nd Annual Shark Sips Undersea!
- Shark Sips Undersea gives guests the chance to imbibe with our aquatic friends! On Thursday, July 25, from 6-9 pm, hundreds of young professionals from all over the Delaware Valley will enjoy happy hour underwater during the Sips Undersea event, in partnership with Swedish Fish. Visitors to enjoy cocktails, Swedish Fish candy and a silent disco all while enjoying the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast.
Bitingly-fun Shark Events
- Exclusive Shark Fin Hats – First 400 Adventure Aquarium guests on Monday, July 29 and Friday, August 2 will receive a special giveaway of commemorative Discovery’s Shark Week shark fin foam hat just before they immerse themselves in the world of sharks, while supplies last.
- Shark Conservation Weekend – Guests can help save sharks during our 3rd annual Shark Conservation Weekend beginning Friday, August 2 through Sunday, August 4. Adopt a shark, participate in a Shark & Ray In-Water Encounter or spin our prize wheel to win a prize – a portion of the proceeds will benefit the AZA SAFE (Association of Zoos and Aquariums: Saving Animals from Extinction) Shark and Ray Conservation Action Plan, a program committed toward saving sharks and rays, two species which are declining at an alarming rate, through collaborative conservation efforts between AZA members and partners. Donations will also benefit OCEARCH, a non-profit organization with a global reach for unprecedented research on great white sharks and other large apex predators.
Ongoing Shark Fun All Summer Long!
- *NEW* Shark Shows – We are doing sharks even better this year! Guests can enjoy new shark shows during their visit. Every wondered how we feed our largest exhibit? Guests can join us for an “It’s Feeding Time!” show where guests can see an Ocean Realm feed. Think you know a lot about sharks? Visitors can also test their knowledge and join our Shark Trivia.
- Shark & Ray In-Water Encounter – Take the next step in the ultimate #SharkSummer journey and dive in with a Shark & Ray In-Water Encounter! Brave guests will snorkel alongside massive sand tiger, sandbar and blacktip sharks in Shark Realm – with no glass in between. They will then visit with stingrays (sharks close cousins) and feed them. Reservations are needed in advance and can be made by visiting AdventureAquarium.com or call at 844-474-FISH (3474).
- Dare to Cross Shark Bridge – Visitors will take a walk on the wild side as they cross the longest V-shaped rope suspension bridge of its kind in the world, and walk just inches above the 21-foot deep Shark Realm exhibit and dozens of sand tiger, sandbar, blacktip and nurse sharks swimming below. The Shark Bridge experience, presented by Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, is included with Aquarium admission.
- See the Only Great Hammerhead in the US – Visit Ocean Realm and meet Anchor, the Aquarium’s great hammerhead, who is also the only one of his kind on exhibit in the entire United States.
- Walk Through Shark Tunnel – Surrounded by sharks, guests will have a 180-degree view of Shark Realm, the second largest exhibit at Adventure Aquarium.
- Be Daring and Touch A Shark – Guests big and small can overcome any fears to safely touch some of the most exotic sharks in the world in the interactive Touch A Shark exhibit.