NETFLIX is Allowing Customers to Have Watch Parties With Friends!
So the theaters are shut down and everyone is practicing social distancing. So it will be a while before we’re able to have watch parties with friends. Or will it? Netflix is promoting their “quarantine and chil” feature Netflix party, which allows customers to watch their favorite movies and shows with friends.
With the help of a Google Chrome extension the “Netflix Party” allows groups of friends to virtually hangout at their computers at the same time. And if you’re the annoying friend that likes to talk through movies and shows, Netflix Party also has a chat room feature so you can feverishly type your unsolicited opinions and predictions.
In order to participate, all you need is a Google Chrome browser, the extension and a Netflix subscription. Here’s how it works:
1. Go to netflixparty.com on a Google Chrome browser and click “Get Netflix Party for free!” This will redirect you to Netflix Party’s page on the chrome web store.
2. Click “Add to Chrome” and then click “Add extension” in the pop-up window. Netflix Party will then be added to the top right corner of your Google Chrome browser, next to the address bar. It will have the initials “NP.”
3. Make sure your friends have downloaded “NP” onto their Google Chrome browsers as well.
4. Using your Google Chrome browser, go to Netflix.com, and play the show or movie you all want to watch.
5. Then click the “NP” button on your browser. You’ll also have the option of making yourself the one in charge of pausing, fast-forwarding and rewinding by checking the “Only I have control” box. If you don’t, anybody in your party will be able to use these features.
6. Click “Start the Party” and copy the URL that appears. Send this URL to the people you want to join your party.
7. Once your friends open the link, they should log into Netflix and hit the “NP” button on their Google Chrome browsers.
8. You should now be synced up! Enjoy your program. You can also communicate with each other via group chat on the right side of the screen. Choose a festive user icon and screen name and share all your binge-watching feels through messages, screenshots, emojis and GIFs.