The National Museum of American Jewish History is Hosting a Christmas Day: Carnival-Like Event
Every Christmas Day, Philadelphia’s Weitzman National Museum of American Jewish History (The Weitzman) hosts a day of family-friendly fun when little else is open for business. However, the last three years Being__at Christmas went virtual but it’s back in person. This event began as “Being Jewish at Christmas” and has since evolved into this more inclusive version that welcomes people of all beliefs.
From top to bottom, the Museum will be immersed in performances and activities for visitors of all ages.
Guests can expect:
- An open house, festival atmosphere
- Musical performances by diverse artists
- Sensory-friendly play zone with a foam floor, Legos, blocks and puzzles
- Classic seasonal family favorite movies throughout the day on the theater’s big screen
- Make-and-take craft activities
- Free street parking (throughout Philadelphia that day) and plenty of stroller parking inside the building
- Shopping in the Museum Store
- BYO food is welcome and a dining area will be set up
Performance Schedule is as follows:
10:15 – 11:15 am: Interactive Kids Concert with Lolly Hopwood
Lolly Hopwood uses bubbles, balloons, parachutes, puppets, pompoms, shakers, scarves and more so the kids can really get involved! Lolly will be joined by a musician who will play harmonica, trombone, banjo, keytar, autoharp, and other fun instruments. All Ages.
11:30 am – 12:15 pm: Philadelphia Suns Lion Dancers
The Philadelphia Suns is a 30 year old community organization based in Chinatown, just seven blocks from the Museum. The group will demonstrate the 1000+ year old Chinese Lion Dance, traditionally performed during the Chinese New Year and other special occasions. All Ages.Video preview
12:30 – 1:15 pm: MoveMakers Philly Educational Performance
MoveMakers, a group dedicated to teaching hip hop dance vocabulary from the 1970s to present day, will lead an interactive workshop and performance featuring instructors as well as student participants. All Ages.Video preview
1:30 – 2:15 pm: Percussion Workshop by Joseph Tayoun
A second generation Lebanese-American with 30+ years of experience playing percussion, Joseph Tayoun will lead a workshop for kids ages 8+ and adults.