East Passyunk is Taking Their Christmas Lighting, Santa Photos and Scavenger Hunt Virtual This Year!
East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District (EPABID) has exciting announcements this holiday season including their annual tree lighting ceremony which will be done virtually this year, as well as photos with Santa, a digital scavenger hunt, pop up music performances and much more, all starting on Thursday December 3, 2020 and running well into the holiday season.
The annual tree lighting ceremony at The Singing Fountain has long been a crowd favorite, and one that brings the spirit of Christmas to the Avenue every December. This year, due to COVID-19 restrictions the ceremony will not be open to the public but instead will be streamed on Facebook Live and Instagram Live for all to see. The virtual event will take place on Thursday, December 3 from 5:45pm – 6:00pm and the tree will remain at The Singing Fountain for visitors to experience throughout the holiday season while practicing social distance safety precautions.
“We want people to enjoy the holidays here on East Passyunk with a variety of options that bring a feeling of festiveness while staying safe,” said Adam Leiter, Executive Director of EPABID. “Whether you’re finding unique gifts from our local shops, coming for a private shopping appointment, grabbing food at an outdoor table or to go, or getting a holiday haircut, there’s an opportunity to enjoy a variety of socially distanced holiday activities.”
Another festive event will be socially distanced photos with Santa located by the Gateway tree at Broad Street and East Passyunk Avenue. Folks will be able to bring their own camera and take holiday photos with Santa at no cost, while adhering to social distance guidelines. There will be three chances for photos with Santa this year:
- Sunday, December 13 from 11am – 1pm
- Saturday, December 19 from 12pm – 2pm
- Sunday, December 20 from 12pm – 2pm
In addition to these merry options, other holiday happenings include:
- The East Passyunk Punch Card – Spend $100 at independent business and enter to win a weekly raffle
- Holiday Digital Scavenger Hunt – Look for decorations in the windows and doors along the Avenue
- Letters to Santa – Drop off letters to the North Pole Mailbox at the Singing Fountain
- Pop Up Music – Look for performances with carolers, musicians, mummers, and more
- Hanukkah Menorah – Light the menorah with the South Philly Shtiebel at the Singing Fountain
- Unexpected Philadelphia Windows – Look for this display of over two dozen almost life-sized photos of non-medical Essential Workers who have put themselves on the line for the Avenue and its visitors this year.
The holiday season may look a bit different this year, but East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District is determined to bring cheer to local families and visitors. All are welcomed to stroll along the Avenue, and join in the holiday festivities but EPABID asks that social distancing and mask wearing precautions are followed.